Thursday, August 21, 2008

Country driving courtesy

I've been thinking a lot about how ranchers drive. There are rules you follow or maybe ways you behave if you "belong" in the country.

The rules are:

1) Wave. The wave is only for on the back roads and only for certain people. You don't wave on the highway. The one finger wave is for strangers, casual acquaintances or at high speeds. The 'all the fingers wave' is for people you know even if they are in the family van. When you're driving, it's your responsibility to pay attention to who is coming at you so you can wave (or not wave) like you're supposed to.

2) Don't wave at cars. Drive a truck. Two trucks wave at each other, always. But only if you are ranchers. I personally don't wave at clean, fancy trucks with tinted windows. If you don't wave at another rancher, you are rude or you don't belong on the back roads. The truck should be slightly dirty with a few bumps and bruises on it. The dirt should be not so much as to totally offend but enough that it's obvious you live on a dirt road. The bumps and bruises are caused by normal ranching wear and tear, not bad driving. Unless you count backing up while forgetting you have a trailer bad driving. I can post a picture of what happens when you do that.

2)Around here you should not drive a white truck with Texas plates. Those are the pipeline people. I don't wave at a white truck unless it belongs to our neighbor. He can't help it that he has a white truck. You also don't wave at the industrial trucks like the sod farm trucks or FedEx. I wave at the UPS guy because I know him and he brings our Christmas presents every year.

3) Most wavers are men but I feel like I belong out here and I understand the rules, so I wave.

So if you ever come to visit you know the rules.

No comments: